Sean Only Interview (October 2015)


This interview was conducted in October 2015 and originally featured in the November issue of Total Wrestling Magazine. You can check out the magazine's other great content and subscribe here.
 
 
Sean Only is a Liverpool-born up and coming UK wrestler who works mostly for promotions around the Northwest of England, including Tidal Championship Wrestling, RDW and UKWE. He is building a reputation as a consistent, strong performer and his punk-rock/MMA fighter gimmick combines two of his real-life passions in a blend of heavy music and even heavier striking. Currently out of action with an injury, Only is counting down the days until he can return to the ring and is getting his fix for the business he loves with appearances such as a recent gig as ring announcer for Monkey Madness Wrestling. 

What are your earliest memories of being a fan of pro wrestling, and what made you want to be part of the business? (Early favourites etc) 
My earliest memories of watching pro wrestling would be WCW around 1990. Not too long after World Of Sport had been pulled from ITV. Looking back, it was an ideal time to start watching as there were so many great performers in their prime around this period. Guys like Ric Flair, Barry Windham, Sting and Cactus Jack really caught my attention and captivated me straight away. It wasn't long after that I discovered WWF and then I started becoming a little obsessed! 

How did you find a training school and what are your memories of training to become a wrestler? How gruelling was the training and what were the most important things you learned? 
I found a training school just by searching online for local ones. I actually ended up moving to Leeds specifically so I could be trained by Jeff Kaye and the late Drew McDonald. Training was incredibly gruelling in those days. I mean, it's not like training isn't still gruelling today, but it was a slightly different era back then. Learning to bump on paper thin mats didn't help either, but it was all part of the process of 'toughening us up' (and probably weeding out the ones who weren't dedicated). I definitely look back on my early training days fondly and I'm still real close with all the guys from that original group that broke into the business. 

What is the hardest part about training to become a professional wrestler and breaking into the business? Did you have to go through any hazing rituals or were you given a hard time as a rookie? 
The toughest part of breaking in is probably just getting your first shot. By virtue of the fact that most people pack it in before they've even had their first match. As far as hazing and rituals and whatnot I didn't really see too much of that. I think everyone is given a hard time as a rookie at some point though! 

How did it feel to walk out in front of a crowd for the first time, and how long before your confidence grew to a point of feeling comfortable in front of an audience? 
If memory serves me, my first time in front of a crowd (like most people) was as an entrant in a 'rumble'. If I'm totally honest, I never felt particularly uncomfortable in front of a crowd because I'd been playing in a band for so long. It's obviously a completely different animal when you're in a ring though. Having said that, the performance side of things always came relatively naturally to me. 

When did you debut and how hard was it to start building a name for yourself and get bookings early on? 
I wouldn't really count a rumble entry as a debut, so that would've been a few months later against Tommy Taylor. My first bookings were all done exclusively through Jeff and Drew and it wasn't until quite a while later that I started making contacts for myself. Building up a reputation enough that you can start properly managing your own bookings takes a great deal of time and patience. 

Did you start using the name 'Sean Only' from the start or did you have any previous names/gimmicks? 
I debuted as Sean 'The Sniper' Only and have been known by that name (or a variant of that name) ever since! 

What are your favourite places to work (locations or promotions) and who have been some of your favourite opponents? 
I absolutely love working in front of a hometown crowd, so Liverpool is always a favourite. Leeds has always treated me super well too and trips to Wales are usually pretty boss. In terms of my favourite opponents, I'd have to say Rampage Brown, Liam Lazarus and Dan James of recent times, but if it wasn't for all my matches with Chris Gray and Tommy Taylor, I wouldn't be who I am today. 

Do you prefer working as a heel or babyface? 
That's such a tough question. I spent so many years working exclusively as a heel that I honestly never thought I would work face! All that's turned round now and I'm probably more known as a good guy (although that has been evening up recently). Maybe it's something of a cop-out but I'd say I prefer playing a heel character, but I prefer working a match as a face. 

What is your favourite style of matches to work? 
My favourite type of match to work is any where I get to kick whichever unfortunate bredder on the other side of the ring to me in the face multiple times! 

Which British wrestlers do you feel have made the biggest impact on the sport worldwide? 
There's a tonne of amazing British talent that have had a huge impact and been a massive influence on the sport worldwide. Guys like Billy Robinson, Chris Adams and Dynamite Kid that brought their style across the Atlantic and beyond, permanently altering the wrestling landscape globally. Davey Boy Smith really brought British wrestling to the attention of a more mainstream audience and is probably still considered the poster boy to this day. You definitely can't talk about British wrestling without mentioning William Regal and more recently we've had the likes of Magnus, Rockstar Spud, Wade Barrett and Paige making British wrestling even more of an international force to be reckoned with. 

Who are some of the most outrageous characters (inside or outside the ring) that you have met in the business? 
Interesting question! Wrestling certainly attracts it's fair share of characters (and I'm not talking about gimmicks here), be it fans, promoters, ring crew or workers, you really do meet all sorts of people. I'd love to digress further, but I think it would be really difficult to talk about anybody specific without (a) upsetting someone, (b) offending someone or (c) getting into trouble myself! Suffice it to say that there's never a dull moment! 

Do you think that British wrestling could ever be a strong territory in it’s own right again (like how Japan and Mexico operate), and maybe even get back to the level of popularity that it had in the World Of Sport era? 
In all honesty, I think that's pretty much the case now. Or at least we're getting very close to it. Wrestlers from all over the world are clamouring to work over here right now. Companies are growing, venues are selling out and word is spreading. It's all thanks to the incredibly rich and deep talent pool we have now and of course the amazing fans. It might be slightly unrealistic to expect mainstream national TV coverage with tens of millions of viewers like in the World Of Sport heyday, but it's no exaggeration to say that British wrestling is the strongest it's been for a long, long time.

Which current British workers do you feel have potential to become big stars in the business?
There's some incredible upcoming talent on the rise at the moment. I feel like there's probably dozens of people I could bring up here, but I'm just going to stick to 3 - Liam Lazarus, Chris Ridgeway and Dan James. Expect to hear those 3 names a lot more in future.

Have you had any strange or particularly boring day jobs while wrestling? 
Nothing particularly strange, but I was a bouncer for about 10 years. Dealing with angry drunk people was ok, but it's not something I'm in any great hurry to go back to. I've also done quite a but of guitar teaching/tutoring. That's still something I do now, schedule permitting. 

What are your aims for your career, both short and long term? What are the main goals you want to achieve? 
Mainly I just want to keep learning and improving my craft. I always want to make my next match better than my last and I want to gain as much experience from as many opponents, venues and locations as possible. 

You are out with an injury at the moment, what is the nature of the injury and how long do you think before you can return? How frustrating is it to be out of action? 
I am indeed. Basically I'd been working through a shoulder injury for quite some time and it's got to the stage where the only way I can continue my career is to get surgery to repair it. It's been an incredibly frustrating experience and I've missed my job more than I ever thought I would. Having said that, it's important to remain positive and I know that this is all for the best in the long run. In terms of expected return dates, I'm looking at about 4-6 months or so. It is feasible that I could be back sooner with some good fortune though. 

How do you balance work, training and home life? 
I'm quite fortunate in that I have a gym at home that I've been building up over the years. It means the majority of my training can be done without even leaving my house. I do still tend to be on the road quite a bit of course. I wouldn't have it any other way though! 

What advice would you give to anyone who wants to break into the wrestling business? 
Stay humble, work hard, always listen and be patient. It certainly isn't for everyone, but the best bit of advice I was ever given was "If you really want something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse".


Follow Sean Only on Twitter @realseanonly for updates, info and news.


To keep up to date with details of other interviews, reviews & articles from Eye On Wrestling, as well as news and trivia, please follow on Twitter and like the Facebook page.