Doug Williams Interview (August 2014)

By Nathan Hunt

This interview was conducted in August 2014 and originally appeared as a feature piece across two issues of Total Wrestling Magazine. You can check out the magazine's other great content and subscribe here.


Before starting in pro wrestling, you trained in Judo from being 11 years old. What attracted you to martial arts? Were you always drawn to physical sports? 
I started when I was 11, then when I was 13 I went to live in Germany for a couple of years. I didn't carry it on there, but when I was 15 I came back to England and I picked it up again. To be honest when I first started I pretty much just went along because my mates were all going, and when you're that age you just do whatever your friends are doing, but when I came back from Germany, by then I was a massive pro wrestling fan and in my mind I wanted to be a wrestler and I figured that I'd need to have some kind of martial arts or fighting background so that's why I went back to Judo. I already knew some of it and I'd already progressed through the gradings so I was already at an established level so it made sense to me to go back to that before training to become a professional wrestler. 

When you lived in Germany and first became a wrestling fan, what promotions were you able to watch? Was it just WWF or was there other international shows you could watch? 
This was 1985-86, and Sky was brand new, it had only just started. For whatever reason my stepdad managed to get Sky in Germany, he got a satellite system and managed to get it broadcast over there. One of the main features of their channels back then in the early days was WWF wrestling. They were showing stuff that was about a year out of date so I was watching WrestleManias 2 & 3 and things like that, but that was basically it. Obviously I was aware of the English stuff because I used to go and watch that when I was much younger, but when I went to Germany and started watching the Sky channels and it opened me up to a whole new side of wrestling that I'd never seen before, which was much more flamboyant. I had used to go to shows with my dad. There were shows which ran weekly, or pretty much, and then a bigger show once a month in Reading because there was a bigger hall there, so we used to go to those. I don't remember too much about it really, other than there were guys I liked and guys I didn't like, but at that age you're not interested in the technical aspects of it or the sporting side, you just get into the characters. What WWF did when I lived in Germany really grabbed a hold on me and made me a real fan of that, moreso than any other sport. 

Who were the first people to stand out for you and really captivate you and draw your interest? 
My favourite guys then were people like Ted DiBiase, Randy Savage, Jake Roberts, you know, heels pretty much, but technically solid heels. You could tell that they were sportsmen and athletes, but I also kind of liked that had a nasty streak to them and their characters were so over the top and so well defined so you perfectly understood what was going on and what they were all about. That's what really attracted me to those sort of guys. And they weren't hugely muscular, I mean Randy Savage was in great physical shape but he was still relatively small compared to some of the really big guys they had. 

How did you first hear about Andre Baker's school and how did you end up starting training there? 
The predecessor to PowerSlam magazine was called Superstars Of Wrestling and they ran an article about Andre's school back in 1993. It had just opened and there was a two page spread about it with contact details for Andre so I basically just phoned him up and asked about coming down for a tryout to start at the school and he said yes. That was July of 1993, just based on that article alone. I was a massive collector of wrestling magazines back then, I collected piles and piles of them, and I had every issue of Superstars Of Wrestling up to that point. 

What were your first impressions of Andre & his school, and what was it like to transition from Judo to pro wrestling? Do you think that the martial arts experience helped you at all? 
I had no preconceptions about what the school was going to be like but I guessed it was going to be similar to old boxing gyms. They were usually set up in something like a dirty, dusty garage with just a ring set up and usually some rusty old engines lying about. It was essentially just an old garage on the side of a cliff in Folkestone with an old, tatty ring in it, and to me that was fine because it's a training environment and the more uncomfortable you make your training environment, the easier it is when you're out of the training environment. If you're too comfortable while you're training you become lazy and complacent, then when you find things more difficult in other situations you tend not to perform as well, but if your uncomfortable while you're training, then when conditions become more comfortable, it's easier to adapt to it and you perform better. Andre was just a typical powerlifting and weightlifting kind of Kent man (laughs). I knew how to fall properly so essentially knew how to bump and everything like that, so it was just learning things like running the ropes. The moves I'd watched for a long, long time, so I kind of knew how to perform them. The difficult part is what you can't learn in the training area, despite what anyone says, the structure of a match and psychology, even selling is very difficult to teach, because a lot of wrestling is based on the crowd reaction and manipulating them to do what you want, and when they're not there it's a very difficult thing to train to do. You tend to learn that on the road, but I had the basics down pretty quickly and that's why I had my first match about three months after I started training. To give you an idea of how much I used to train, he would be open Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays and it was a two hour drive for me so I'd go down on Friday night straight after work to train, stay over and train on Saturday and Sunday, then drive home on Sunday night. So I'd spend two days and a little bit [extra on the Friday evening] every week training. 

You started off working for Andre's own promotion, NWA Hammerlock UK, so what are your main memories from that time? 
The way wrestling was at that time was that British wrestling was really in a dead period. No-one really knew where to go to try to become a wrestler other than speaking to one of the existing promoters and trying to get training for their shows. The good thing was that it seemed like everyone who really wanted to become a wrestler who were all about the same age, between about 16 and 21, seemed to gravitate towards Andre's gym, so there was quite a good comraderie and atmosphere between everybody there. We were all obviously working towards the same goal, so that kind of manifested itself into the shows because everybody worked hard to put on a great show. He ran some really big halls back then, like Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone and Mote Park Leisure Centre in Maidstone and he drew decent crowds. It was a good learning experience for everybody, and that's essentially all it was because the shows were just an extention of the training environment but giving you that experience of working on front of crowds. That's of paramount importance and something that everybody has to learn, but they were good times. Then he started bringing in Americans and that's always really helpful and a good learning experience because when you get some imports or talent from other countries come in you get to see that no matter where you are in the world that the basics of wrestling are all done in exactly the same way. So if you meet someone and you don't really know them that well, or they come from a foreign country, you can still get in the ring and have a good wrestling match with them. Everybody understands how it works and it's the same in every country, give or take a few things. 

 
Andre's school produced a lot of talent that have become big names on the UK scene and internationally, so what do you think was the main ingredient of his training that helped his students become so successful? 
There was a very, very high importance on getting the grounding right in that he'd train you in submission & catch wrestling alongside professional training, so everyone got a really good basis and understanding of what it was like to be in a real fight. Then you utilise that in your performance as a professional wrestler. The other thing of course is that success breeds success, so other young guys saw that I was getting somewhere, so they wanted to go to Hammerlock to learn. Then they became successful, so the next generation of people who wanted to be successful went there, so it was a kind of snowball effect I'd say. When people saw that successful guys had gone there, they wanted to go so they could become names themselves, and that continued for the ten years or so that he was in operation. 

One of the people who trained there was Johnny Moss, who has recently opened his own school and has stated that he is basing his training very much on the training he recieved from Andre. Do you think that it will be a good thing for British wrestling to have somewhere that people can learn from that basis again? 
It's definitely a good thing because he will teach students things that a lot of other schools don't teach and it will give a good grounding and an understanding of wrestling from the bottom up. He'll teach them how to wrestle properly, and when I say that I mean wrestle for real, in genuine sporting competition, like the way you move about, the way you feel out your opponent and trying to grab hold of them to maneuvre them into position for things, and they can then utlise that in their performance to make it look more credible to people watching. A lot of schools now seem to teach very much of an American style, which makes everyone become very homogenised, everybody looks and works the same way. A school such as Johnny's would show them a different way of doing things, a certain way of putting holds on and some psychology and everything and it can only help and improve the product by giving more variety and more interest for the people watching it. 

How did you settle on the surname Williams? 
One of the promoters I worked for on the campsites when I first started gave me the surname [Williams]. Back when I was still training with Andre he'd get trainees some experience with the odd bookings, just to get out there, which was good. One of those promoters just gave me the name one night and I just stuck with it. It was nothing more exciting than that I'm afraid... If it had been named after someone I looked up to or had some significance like that I'd probably be Doug DiBiase, but no. 


How did you start using the nickname the Anarchist? 
I started using the name ['The Anarchist'] back in Hammerlock in the early days of my career. In my mind, it was never a political thing, it was more an attitude of a rule breaking character who spurns authority & does what he wants. It's always been strange to me that some people try to read more politically into it than that because real anarchists, in the purest definition, wouldn't believe in politics, it is a rejection of politics if anything. But that was always my take on it, the no respect for authority, doing as I please kind of character who disrespects the referee and cheats. 

Do you prefer working babyface or heel? 
Heel. It's more fun really and you're able to control the match more and dictate what happens. I always prefered watching heels as a fan anyway, so I'm more natural at the psychology of working heel. 

You would go on to work for the FWA. What prompted you to leave Hammerlock and what were the differences between the two companies? 
It wasn't a straight transition, in 1997 I made the decision to start working for other promotions outside of Andre and it was a situation of being Andre's way or not at all, so maybe what was good for me was not best for him and for Hammerlock. I was trying to get out there and work for lots of different promotions and FWA was just one of the ones that I picked up working for, and although my name is associated with them during that time period, I actually did more shows for All Star Wrestling and others. Back then there were about four or five touring promoters and I'd just jump between each one at the time and picked up the FWA big shows in between. FWA was much more American influenced while Hammerlock had been more British wrestling style shows, so that was the main difference really. 

FWA was gaining momentum in the early-mid 2000s, and was getting a lot of coverage in magazines and amongst fans. It was being heralded as the focal point for hope of a British wrestling resurgence, so why do you think it didn't accheive the heights people had hoped for? 
Just exposure really, you can only go so far with something if you don't have the means, the methods and the marketing to the mainstream. You can reach a niche audience, but once you've done that there's nowhere else for it to go. Towards the end, money became an issue as well, and once that runs out there's nothing else you can do. It's just a shame that at that time they weren't able to secure a more lucrative TV deal than the one they had, because that would have helped sustain them for that little bit longer. 


When you were working for FWA, you started to get more international recognition for your matches with people like Eddie Guerrero. What was it like to work with bigger name stars who you would have seen yourself on TV, and then getting bookings for companies such as ROH & NOAH etc?
It was about 2002 that I started wrestling more international names and travelling abroad more. I'd been wrestling for nearly ten years then and I was looking at it very much as a job. I did get excited about meeting and working with guys that were big stars, but it was more that I was getting to work someone new or someone experienced and be able to learn from them, so that's where most of my interest came from. Obviously as a wrestler you're a brand and you have to market yourself to get more work and earn more money. Being able to perform on stages such as Ring Of Honor, while the promotion as it was then was actually no bigger than FWA or anyone else like that, but the coverage and exposure they got from being an American promotion that had a buzz about them meant that I was getting exposure as well. That exposure then builds on the name that you make and builds up your contacts for getting work elsewhere as well. My ultimate goal when I started wrestling was always to get to Japan because obviously British and Japanese wrestling have always been quite close. New Japan always used to send the young guys over to England to get some experience and learn some technical wrestling and things like that. I was a huge fan of watching Japanese wrestling while I was training. I understood that for myself, I wasn't particularly flamboyant, I wasn't a monster or a freak, I was just an athletic guy, so I thought that Japan would probably be a better fit for me than the American wrestling scene. That was always my goal, so for me to go to NOAH, which in all but name was All Japan Pro Wrestling, that was my goal acchieved effectively, so I was over the moon about that. It was good being able to work against guys I'd watched time and time again, and to learn from them and learn a different style of wrestling as well; their mentality and their psychology for how they perform, that was great. It's all a learning experience, it all builds your career and you build yourself as a brand and as a wrestler, and that's all we really want to do. Using anything from that style wouldn't generally translate or get the result or response you want out of an American or British audience. The style that works best in the western world is the good guy / bad guy heavy kind of match with a lot of selling on the part of the good guy, whereas in Japan it's very much a 'fight each other until one guy falls down' kind of style, a never give up attitude, which works really well for their audience but wouldn't always work for a western audience. Outside of learning the psychology and style of Japanese wrestling, the ability to put matches together that were long and complicated was the other main thing I learned! (laughs) 


You worked a match with James Storm on TNA Xplosion in 2003. Were you offered a position with TNA at that time and why did you not start working with the company? 
They didn't offer contracts back then, it was just a handshake deal or whatever I guess. What happened with that was that they called me about doing the World X Cup and I couldn't do it because I already had bookings; they wanted me to stay over there for a week, because they were taping on Wednesdays and wanted me to come and then stay over until the following Wednesday, but I had shows on that weekend in between so I told them I couldn't do that, and that was basically that. At the time, I obviously knew they had a TV show, but they were no bigger at the time than Ring Of Honor really, so it was just somewhere else to work. It wasn't like it was a major league wrestling company at that time coming up to me and saying 'here's a contract for x amount per month'. 

You worked some dark matches with WWE in 2006, did you recieve any feedback from them at that time or was any offer made for a role with the company. 
I was never given feedback at the time as to what they thought or why they didn't hire me. I would get some general comments after the matches from the usual people, like that it was good, but I never actually heard anything from talent relations about what they were looking for or why they didn't hire me. They did ask me about four or five times in a row to come back to do some dark matches throughout 2007 and 2008, but I guess unluckily, I was always in Japan and had to keep turning them down. I was actually amazed that they asked me four or five times because when you turn them down once, you assume that's the only opportunity you're going to get. The last thing I heard from them was a phone call in 2009. What usually happens is that you get an email from talent relations saying they'd like for you to go to their TV taping on whatever date. This time I got a phone call from Talent Relations saying "we want you to come to the WWE tapings and it's very important that we get to see you" but literally the day before, I'd signed my [2nd] TNA contract and sent it back to them. I think it's just a matter of fate that I never worked for them, it was just timing. It was just a matter of timing for every time I had to turn them down because I had to be somewhere else, or something happened and unfortunately we never synced. Interestingly, from when I did my dark matches, Tommy Dreamer was in Talent Relations so as far as hiring, the main decision makers were his colleagues, and later when he was in TNA as a wrestler, he told me that the reaction pretty much straight away was 'I want bigger'. So I wasn't tall enough. I'm 5'11", and at the time I weighed about 240lbs, but they still had this idea that everyone they hired should be over 6'2". 

You came into TNA as part of the World X Cup in 2008. What were your early impressions of the company? 
It was a lot of fun back then. I knew the booking team then and what they wanted. I was there to highlight the British style within the World X Cup and that was a lot of fun. I had a lot of friends there already from working with them in Ring Of Honor and Japan, even some guys who'd toured England and so that was good. That was in 2008 and I signed a one year contract with TNA, but I had four tours of Japan already booked and they wanted me to get those out of the way first. So I was under contract to TNA for a year and did nothing! [laughs] Well, I didn't end up doing any work for them, but I was working solidly in Japan. Then I re-signed a new one with them in 2009 and that was when we started the British Invasion. 

When you were first told about the plans for The British Invasion faction, were you apprehensive about being teamed with two performers who were so much greener, or at least with such lesser experience than yourself? 
No, we all knew what the score was in that regard and what everyone was meant to do and that was fine. At the end of the day, if anything it would only make me look better anyway, wouldn't it? It wasn't like it was people who didn't want to learn or couldn't be taught. We all made the best of it. It's totally down to their hard work at the time and their attitude. I knew what my role was and I pretty much focused on that. I've heard them speak highly of the advice and help I gave them back then, but they had the opportunity not only to work with me, but with some of the best talent in the world, so that helped them to improve a lot as well. That was why they might have seemed to progress quite quickly, and I was there to try and cover any mistakes and carry them when needed, things like that, but it wasn't ever really a problem. 
We all took it for what it was and the booking team wanted us to be stereotypes so we not only gave them those stereotypes but we stepped it up a bit. We tried not to be too serious, we knew what the image was that they had of what British wrestling is, and what a British wrestler should be, so we just had some fun with it and we took that ideal they had and we gave it to them. 


How did you feel when Magnus won the TNA championship? 
It's nice for him, I guess; nice that the company would recognise him for what he can do for them and for his hard work. It's good that they would put that kind of equity in him and give him the ball and the chance to run with it. As far as actually winning the title, for me, it's not like he actually won something like in a legitimate sport, so you can't be proud in that kind of way. With titles in our business it's not the winning it, it's what you do with it when you have it that's important. But it's great that the promotion would give him that endorsement. 

You started doing some promo work with British Invasion but this expanded more when you broke away and had your X Division title reign and joined Fortune etc. Were you surprised that it took so long into your career before you were really given chance to show your promo ability? 
At the end of the day, there was never previously any call for me to try my skills on the microphone because I wasn't in that kind of environment. In joining TNA, I started working on what is essentially a TV show, which is more driven by characters and storylines and talking to get your character over.  It's not the same as when you're working [independents] because the most you might do there is cut a promo to challenge someone to come out and face you or for their title. Whereas here, you have to get used to doing the more extended looking-into-the-camera talking where you don't necessarily get that immediate reaction and feedback from the audience, so it's a different kind of art. To be honest with you, before I went to America I knew what would be required of me in terms of doing promos, so I would just practice it in the mirror and things like that, to make sure I could do it right.


In the promos with Fortune, it would seem like everyone was legitimately competing with each other to get their lines in and make sure they contributed to the segments. Was that really the case or was it just designed to appear that way? 
Yes, it really was like that. Everyone would kind of fight to say their piece because we only had limited time and we all recognised that if you're going to get some television time that you should always make the most of it. I knew what was going to happen in the storyline anyway in terms of the eventual break up and that I was going to go off on my own again after a time, so then instead of fighting to get myself over I would start letting them all kind of push me more into the background because that was going to help the storyline with the break-up, it just made more sense in the long term. 

You worked against Ric Flair in Wembley Stadium and had TV time with Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff etc while you were doing the storylines with Immortal and Fortune. What was it like to share the ring and the screen with those people? 
It was interesting. When you're in the business you want to wrestle people like that to see how good they actually are and if they are what other people say they are. 9 out of 10 times, they are, but that was really the attraction for me at that point, to see if someone like Flair really would live up to the reputation he has, and at the age he was when I wrestled him, I'd say that yes, he probably must have been one of the greatest of all time.  He could definitely still go, even at the age I wrestled him, so when he was younger he must have been everything that everyone said he was.


Photo Credit: Simon Only on Flickr


How did you start as a trainer? 
I wasn't given a choice really to be honest with you, I was asked 'how do you feel about becoming a trainer?', which we all know means 'you're going to be a trainer'. They sometimes make those decisions for you. It wasn't a decision I made for myself and wasn't something I was interested in doing at the time, however it was an interesting and valuable experience for me and I really enjoyed it. And I learned a lot, about goes into the TV side of wrestling, about the psychology of TV wrestling, about what mainstream American wrestling companies really look for and want. When I came back here [to the UK], I started training and running seminars and I'm able to teach the stuff I learned in OVW together with that traditional British style, and teach people how to mix and mesh the two. I think that's part of the reason that the seminars are quite well recieved, because it helps for if you're being scouted by a major league promotion or you want to get on their radar, but it also helps to reinforce the traditions and British style of wrestling. 

What do you think of the British scene and how it has changed since you've been away? 
There are so many great regional promotions out there at the moment who can draw in their area and concentrate on their crowd. The talent we have at the moment is way better than it's ever been in the past, especially in terms of how they look, their work on their psychology and promo building, their promotions and their gear. I don't really like to go into specific names of talents who I think are the best because I always feel bad for missing people out. I do have my personal favourites of course. I've always been a fan of huge heavyweights knocking the hell out of each other so probably my favourites are guys like Dave Mastiff & Rampage Brown. It's funny but since I came back that's kind of what I am, because here I'm classed as a big heavyweight, and that's what I've always been entertained by, but we also have a lot of great high flyers.

Do you think that British wrestling has lost some of it's identity with the shift over the last decade in particular towards a more Americanised style? 
It's definitely lost it's identity in terms of the specific style, but it was more associated with the light heavyweights or junior heavyweights coverage, whatever you want to call them. If you watch a lot of heavyweight British wrestling, it's the same as American stuff really, but alot of our identity was from it being presented very much as a sport, having rounds, having seconds like a boxer would, and being presented purely as a sport with the championship belts and weight limits and all that sort of thing. While some people would laugh and say it was all phony, they would still have a bit of credibility because you had that sports feel about it. Obviously American wrestling doesn't have any of that anymore, but would that work nowadays? I really don't know, because I think a lot of how British wrestling survived was based on people not being sure just how real it actually was, whereas now nearly everyone is wiser to it.

Do you think British wrestling could ever get back to it's glory days and run as a territory in its own right like we see in Mexico and Japan? 
Not unless it gets some decent TV exposure and for that it needs good production values. Someone would need to really invest in it and put money behind it, because it can't just look like it did in the 1970s and 80s. I don't think that there's anyone who would want to take the risks that it would need, because most of the promoters I know are happy to run their shows once a month and keep drawing pretty decent crowds and make themselves maybe £1000 each time. They don't want to risk what they already have and I can understand that because it would be a risk.
  
How did your involvement with GFW come about? 
Jeff Jarrett just called me up and spoke to me and he explained what he was doing and that he wanted to get some European companies on board. I was happy to help, I'd always got on well with him when we were both in TNA. Unfortunately I can't go into much about what's happening with it now and where it's going because, honestly, I just don't know, but for what he wanted me to do, I was happy to help him out. 
The guidelines he gave me were that he wanted companies that had a strong set-up, that ran regularly, were fan friendly & family friendly. By regularly, he didn't want companies that just run shows once a month, so I just looked at the companies that fit all the criteria that he asked about. That was the problem really, that there's a lot of companies in England who just run shows once or twice a month, and they do well, and they obviously have a lot of buzz, but Jeff wasn't looking for a company that could put on a big show once every two months or whatever. He needs people who run on a more regular basis. There are a lot of companies as well that are more geared towards an adult audience, but Jeff's aiming for a more mainstream kind of product. So I just tried to keep to the companies that fit in with everything that Jeff had told me.  

What kind of impact will GFW have on the global wrestling scene? 
I really don't know [how GFW will affect the wrestling landscape]. It's an opportunity to present a completely different product and TV show, which has more of a global appeal than just one market. As far as for the people in the business, it's great that people will have another place to work, but it's a great thing for the fans too, because it will potentially give some exposure and showcase lots of different styles and different people and wrestlers from all around the world. I think that's really how it's going to have an effect. It might help to bring some individuality back into wrestling, rather than just having one style of product being rolled out like it is now. 

Will you be working the Tokyo Dome show (WrestleKingdom) on January 4th and will you be wrestling for GFW yourself beyond that? 
It hasn't been talked about, but at the moment there's no actual concrete promotion as such in the traditional way, so as far as signing talent and things of that nature, it isn't going to work that way. It might well be in their plans, but they are getting some other things in place, so until that all comes about and they have a solid base of operations in America, they won't be looking at signing any talent in that respect. I really don't know myself to be honest with you.


To keep up to date with details of other interviews, reviews & articles from Eye On Wrestling, as well as news and trivia, please follow on Twitter and like the Facebook page.