Drake Maverick (Formerly Known As 'Rockstar Spud') Interview (October 2014)

This interview was conducted in Occtober 2014 and originally appeared in Total Wrestling Magazine. You can check out the magazine's other great content and subscribe here.


Now known as Drake Maverick, the General Manager of WWE's 205 Live, the performer formerly known as Rockstar Spud is finally making waves in the biggest wrestling company in the world. It has been a long, tough road for Maverick, who toiled away on the UK independent scene during some of the toughest and leanest years that British wrestling has had to endure. Despite the ups and downs of the wrestling business during that time, his tenacity, personality and talent made him one of the most respected and universally liked people on the circuit with fans, promoters and peers alike. He had some semi-high profile gigs with some of the bigger British companies trying to reinvigorate the scene, such as the ill-fated 1PW in the early 2000s when he first began his journey, but it would not be until 2012 that he eventually got a chance to show what he could do on an international stage when he competed on (and won) the first season of TNA's British Boot Camp, a reality show where the winner received a TNA contract. This springboard proved to be huge for Maverick, as he would be prominently featured in memorable storylines with the company's top stars, including Ethan Cater III (EC3) and TNA CEO Dixie Carter. Proving himself a huge asset to the company in the various roles he was given during his tenure, he was able to show that his character and talent belonged and thrived on a large stage. It was during the height of his storyline with the Carter family that the company decided to bring back British Boot Camp to try to recreate the success they had enjoyed from bringing Rockstar Spud into the fold, with the man himself being involved in the new season of the show. It was at this time that I was given the opportunity to interview Maverick about his career and journey so far:
As TNA's reality show, British Boot Camp entered its second season, I spoke to the winner of the inaugural season, Rockstar Spud, who has played a prominent role on TNA TV since winning the competition in 2013. His current storyline has seen him fired from the company by Ethan Carter III and being blamed for Ethan's [kayfabe] Aunt Dixie being driven through a table by Bully Ray after a storyline build-up of several months. Having played a mostly comedic side-role to the Carter family, this could be very well be a catalyst to launch a babyface run against Ethan upon returning to TV, although time will have to tell on what the endgame of the story will entail. Eloquent, confident and in high spirits, Spud was very positive in his outlook for himself and for TNA. The call started with some lighthearted banter about the British weather before delving into various aspects of the business, Spud himself and the current incarnation of the show which launched him into the international limelight. 

British boot camp has just entered a new season. What are your general feelings about reality shows in wrestling - do you feel that they expose too much of the inner workings of the business? 
No more than the internet has already done, because everyone already has access to everything. They don't expose too much in any of the reality shows I've seen, and it's high value television because it's designed to be compelling. It's like Britain's Got Talent and X-Factor are compelling to their audience because they encourage everyone to have an opinion, and the way social media is now you share that opinion with other people. Mum and dad may have different opinions & grandma and granddad will think something different, & it makes it more compelling because of the discussion about the different personalities. That's what wrestling is about and that's what television is about.

How daunting was it for you performing for a TNA contract & what is like now, seeing it from the other side? 
It seems like so long ago now, and it's longer than people think, about 2 years, but people say last year. It was all filmed before it was shown, then they showed it at the beginning of last year. It was daunting when I was on that side of the camera and now I get to see what it's like from the other side. It's very strange to see and appreciate now how things get planned and processed and how everything should go. I don't envy the contestants on this show, because if I'd have entered into this year's competition I don't think I would have made it! It's good to be able to stand back and watch it as a fan as well, and to see someone go through what I went through and how they deal with the same feelings that I felt and the same situations that I've been in. 

How physically hard was the competition last year? 
It was hard, but it was more mentally challenging than physically. It all inflames your own paranoia and you constantly question yourself, with the constant pressure of 'did I make a good impression' and 'did I do this OK?' or 'should I have done this or that?' and just second guessing everything. It's all just in your own head really and i just had to rise to it and get myself through it. 

Was it hard to focus on the competition whilst meeting so many influential people, and did meeting anyone in particular stand out for you? 
I wasn't really distracted by anyone else to be honest, I was only focusing on me because I really wanted to win that TNA contract. So I just put all my concentration and energy on me and all I thought about was how much I wanted this job. There was only the four of us competing and we already knew each other from working various shows together, so I just focused on me and luckily it paid off in the end. 


Does you feel Britain has a greater depth of talent since the first series? 
I would definitely say that from what we see on this season, Britain has a greater depth of potential talent than last year, but it's potential that needs to be nurtured and developed. Even though there's some people who are successful in this country think that they know everything, they don't and they need to be able and willing to learn. Just because someone here thinks that one person is the best or that someone has the potential to be something big, it doesn't matter who it is and everyone has their opinions, but their opinion isn't gospel. I wasn't the best at everything, and I'm still not the best, but I was nurtured and I was smartened up when I got there [to TNA]. I've learned from Al Snow and that's what he's looking for in a talent, which is why he's one of the judges. There's a lot of potential in this country and people just need to be brought in the right way and nurtured and molded, and shown the right direction. 

Before the trials were held was there anybody specific you would have picked out as a genuine contender? 
I could think of a few people, like Dave Mastiff and Rampage Brown. Rampage was invited onto the show by Samoa Joe, which is a big compliment, and those are two who are real heavyweight standouts, who are completely different. [PROGRESS Wrestling's show, Chapter 14: ThunderBastard] is where Samoa Joe first met Rampage, working against him. That's where he said 'yeah, you're good, you should come in for this opportunity', so it was on Joe's blessing, which shows he must have something because Joe's one of the best in the world and he's not going to say someone's got it if they don't. Grado stands out just because of the way that he captures the audience, then you've got Noam Dar who's just a fabulous performer in the ring. Can he perform outside the ring on the mic and character side of things, who knows? But we're going to find that out and I hope he can do that too. 

Looking at the competition this year and the finalists, who do you think has the best chance? 
If I just look at the three from the first episode, I would have to say Noam Dar, because he's got this great cheeky chappy personality. But Nikki Storm is ready. I honestly think Nikki Storm is ready for television now. But I'd still stick with Noam because of his age and being able to have a long-term investment because he's still so young.  

As a previous winner, what advice would you offer to the entrants for this year? 
Always show respect. Show that you want it and always come in willing to work. Respect that there's a huge amount of investment in you from not only the other wrestlers, but the management, the trainers and everyone who's there trying to make you into a star. Remember to respect all of it because sometimes it's easy to lose sight of that. I tried to never lose sight of that, and I made mistakes but I learned from them and that's what it's all about. You're allowed to make mistakes as long as you don't make them again. 

Would you like to be a judge if TNA hold a British Boot Camp 3? 
I would love to be a judge, because I have a big mouth and I don't mind opening it! So if they offered me a spot as a judge I'd absolutely adore it. You know what, I'd relish that role. It'd be really fun. 

Do you think that British wrestling could ever be a strong territory like Japan and Mexico again, and get back to the level of the old World Of Sport Days? 
Right now, British wrestling is micro-managed and in some cases it's being promoted and booked by people who don't necessarily know how to draw properly. They seem to know how to get people in the door, but not to keep coming back, in my opinion. Plus you need the right lighting, the right set-up. Lighting and production are really important and people don't seem to recognise that, they neglect to pay big money for their lighting, they'll just get a ring and think 'well, I've got my own wrestling promotion now'. You also need good sound equipment, and all the things that make talent look like superstars. There's no-one investing in that side and when someone decides to get competitive in that area who knows how to book talent, and the talent listen and understand, then we'd be good to go, but until then, I don't think so. 

What has British wrestling contributed to the wider wrestling world? 
We bring a different style. All you need to do is look at Regal and Finlay, wrestlers who really broke the mold in America by showcasing that style and technique. Then you look at Magnus, who's the first English Heavyweight Champion that America's had in 108 years. He's shown that it really doesn't matter if you're British, American, Mexican or whatever, you can be the World Champion if you've got the talent and he should be respected for that. 

Is there anyone that you miss working with from your days on the British independents? 
I miss working with everyone. But one would be Sha Samuels. Absolutely phenomenal. He's just a perfect bad guy, through and through, everything about him is that bad guy. He might show up in the later auditions, I won't say yes or no, but you might see him. He's the best, the absolute best in my opinion, in this country. He knows what he's doing, and he knows what his job is. His job is to make that audience hate him and to get the babyface over, not to do cool moves or to be funny or look good, but just to do business and he is the best at it.



How do you feel your time in TNA has gone? 
I've had the time of my life. As long as they're happy with me being there, I'm happy to be there. It's been the best two years of my life and I couldn't be happier, and I couldn't be happier with any other promotion. 

What's it been like sharing a ring with talents like Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy & Team 3D who you've no doubt watched growing up? 
Surreal, but also very humbling, because sometimes I'm just sitting there thinking, 'Yeah, I live in America!'  and 'Yeah, I just wrestled Kurt Angle' or 'Bully Ray just put me through a table!'. It's just like 'Wow!'. But I've also learned so much from working with all of those people, especially Bully, Kurt & Jeff because they're all just so good at what they do and they'll always give you sound advice, they're so helpful. It's so rewarding to know and work with them. 

What do you think of the Dixie Carter/Bully Ray story line and the reaction to it? 
It was one of the best pro wrestling angles of the year. It had the definite beginning, middle and end. It was so good to be involved in it. I remember lying on the floor of the Manhattan Centre and I felt the rumble through the floor of the fans as she was being lifted up. Then as she crashed through the table, it was like I was being kicked in the back because of the rumble of the floor getting so intense! It was unbelievable and it was amazing to be one of the catalysts of that whole storyline and to be an antagonist in it. It was just so much fun and one of the best times that I've had in pro wrestling. 

Now guys like Hulk Hogan and Sting have left the company, TNA has seen a new batch of stars being created and coming in. Should TNA's focus be on building more homegrown talent? & Aside from yourself who do you feel can be TNA's next break out star? 
Next breakout star? You'll have to watch British Bootcamp to find out! I don't believe that there's anyone in the UK who has the passion for the business that I did, but we will we find that person? We'll have to wait and see. 
I think that TNA should focus on whatever draws people to watch and anything to draw people into the buildings. Anything that makes TNA money and is good business. It doesn't matter who you are or where you've been, but if you put that person's face on a poster and people will pay to see you, then you're a person that they should want in the promotion. 

How do you feel about the ongoing TNA TV deal saga & do you feel the situation has been overblown by concerned fans? Where do you see TNA in 12 months’ time? 
I think it's been completely blown out of proportion by everyone, and it's just because of the impact of social media these days. The TNA offices have negotiated TV deals before, but social media means that everyone is constantly updating saying 'no TV deal yet' each day. But they've had to negotiate these things all the time over the years, and it is what it is. We as talent should just be concentrating on delivering the best wrestling product on TV that we can, and I seriously believe that we do. There's nothing else that you can see that is as good as our product for pro wrestling in the world. The only way is up for TNA, because we're putting on a quality wrestling show with strong matches and storylines that people can relate to. The story with Spud and Ethan Carter III has really caught on with fans and they've really jumped on board with the whole 'I'm With Spud' thing. The Rockstar Spud T-Shirts actually sold more than the Hardy Boys t-shirts in the last few weeks which is amazing. That's how much people are invested in the Rockstar Spud character at the moment and it's because everyone's been bullied, everyone's been neglected and felt unappreciated by a friend and it's something that everyone can identify with. It's really rewarding because the character you see now on TV will be the closest thing to me in real life as ever, because although he's called Rockstar Spud it might as well be James Curtin because his life is just what mine has been for much of the time. He might be picked on and neglected but eventually he fights back and then that's when everyone will be like 'Yeah, go on lad!'. To get everyone standing up and shouting at their television screens because someone stands up for themselves, that's pro wrestling. That's what we want, that human emotion because that's what draws money. 

Is the character you've been playing until now (the comedic, sycophantic Spud) been more of an actual character for you to play, rather than being true to life? And what where the inspirations for that character? 
No, no, that's just as much James Curtin as the other side of me, but with the negatives turned up. There is that side of me, but this side of me is closer to me the actual human being, whereas that was me with the negatives turned up to 25, because I don't just turn it up to 11, I'll really get under your skin. I'll get you to want my throat ripped out, but if I'm working on another level and want to turn up me the human being to 25, then that's what you'll see now. Me the annoying human being was what you had until recently. I drew a lot of inspiration for it from my own personality, because I'm naturally creative, and I've always loved British comedies like Bottom & Porridge. They're things that Americans might not necessarily get or be familiar with so it's really new and fresh to them, but I didn't just take things directly from those shows, more just elements. So I tried to create a package of a bumbling idiot who's a loveable tryer, so that although you don't like him, he still tries, so there's that element of 'aww bless him, he tried'.  That's what Rockstar Spud is, he's a tryer who would do anything for anybody, he's a silly little sod but he'll do whatever he can for you and usually ends up with a cake in his face or whatever. 

Do you agree with Jeremy Borash's comments regarding TNA moving operations to the UK? 
I think it would be a wonderful opportunity to branch the company out.  It would be great if they could have an office here as well as in America and other places where we operate, that would be amazing and create a lot of opportunities. Who knows what could happen down the road? 

What's your relationship with Dixie Carter like? 
My relationship with Dixie is great, she's a wonderful person and I think if people knew her as a person that a lot of people wouldn't say the negative things they tend to say about her. She played a character on television and she became the most hated person in pro wrestling, and the character she played is what people actually think Dixie is like as a person. As a 50 year old woman who never took a bump in a wrestling ring in her life, she got put through a table off the top rope, and that hurts when you're a performer. Think about a frail woman at 50 years old doing that, and she did it because she loves this company, loves her fans and loves pro wrestling. She's a complete pro, a natural professional and unless you know the woman you can be negative all you want but you don't really have room to comment. 

Do you think that your size is still a barrier for you? 
 I think that's up to the audience if it's still a barrier or if I've overcome it and if they believe in me. If they believe in me, then they'll believe that I can do anything. I believe in me and if fans say I'm good enough, then they'll only be helping me on this journey and if they want me to be thw World Heavyweight Champion the I will be the Champion one day. 

What does the future hold for you, perhaps a WWE run one day? 
Right now I'm very happy with Impact Wrestling and I want to be the TNA Heavyweight Champion. That's my goal and it won't stop being my goal until I'm the Heavyweight Champion. It might seem like a daydream to some people, but they said it was a daydream for me to be signed to a major pro wrestling company. Here I am, with TNA and I want to be the Heavyweight Champion and I will not stop until it happens.


To keep up to date with details of other interviews, reviews & articles from Eye On Wrestling, as well as news and trivia, please follow on Twitter and like the Facebook page.