The Plague Of Depression Inside The Wrestling Business

By Nathan P Hunt

(This article was originally posted on the 'GetRealWrestling' website in September 2014, but was moved here after that site closed.)


After the suicide of former WWE & WCW star Sean O’Haire, who was found dead at his home on 9th September, aged just 43 years old, it seems that the plague of depression in the wrestling business is one that needs to be recognised and addressed. The business has lost many of its former stars to similar circumstances, including (but certainly not limited to) three members of the Von Erich family, Mike Awesome, Crash Holly, promoter Eddie Graham & his son Mike, Chris Kanyon, Skull Murphy, & Chris Benoit. All of these men had battled severe depression and other issues for many years without success, and eventually the illness would win the war. As well as the alarmingly high number of suicides in the business, there are also well documented drug issues and other self-destroying behaviours which have become intertwined with the professional wrestling landscape, which could, at least in part, be attributed to Depression being rife within the industry.
At a recent Q&A, held in the UK for Pro Wrestling Pride, former WWE/WCW/ECW/TNA/ROH star Raven was asked about Depression, to which he replied that he does not feel that he suffers from clinical Depression, but has a depressive streak running through him which has contributed to his abuse of drugs and alcohol. He said that his default mode is happy and therefore he does not consider himself medically depressed. Unfortunately performers such as Scott Hall, who suffers very badly from Depression, are not as lucky, and in some cases the illness can have a devastating effect on their personal and professional lives.
Following the high profile suicide of actor Robin Williams, the impassioned comments and opinions being shared by people & groups on sites and social media sparked a major talking point on the core issue of Depression. Comments from people who lacked education on the subjects of suicide and Depression highlighted a major need for further awareness on the issue and were often insensitive and potentially harmful, while the insightful comments made by those familiar with the illness were generally helpful and inspiring. As a sufferer of Depression myself, I was interested to see the many people who would openly speak about it and their experiences, including people from professional wrestling, a business where portraying a 'tough guy' is not only a key component of the show itself, but also notoriously in the backstage life as well. One of the people who began to openly speak out about his experience with Depression was a professional wrestler & promoter on the UK independent circuit, Ryan Smile, whose openness and honesty prompted me to write an article about my own experiences. I focused on how my recent work to make a new career in the area of professional wrestling journalism has led to me writing for multiple websites within the space of a few months, as well as conducting interviews and generally giving me some focus and positivity. While it is not a cure in itself, I thought that sharing the story would inspire others or generally just help anyone who may be struggling, as just having a positive focus and constructive drive has been a massive boost for me. The piece prompted a wrestling promoter, manager and performer, professionally known as PT Player, to contact me via Facebook and offer an interview on this and other subjects. As Ryan Smile had prompted the original piece, I also contacted him and asked him for an interview to help with this too. I was pleasantly surprised to see that not only did he agree to it within minutes, but he also replied to the interview questions as fully and openly as he had been in his original posts (if not more so) the very same afternoon. Both have experienced Depression from inside the business itself, and wanted to help anyone who may be struggling by sharing their experiences. Hopefully it will be of help for anyone, either inside the business or as a fan, to know that they are not alone and that there can be a light at the end of the tunnel.
I began by asking about how each had got into the wrestling business:

PT Player:    I didn’t want to be a wrestler. I wanted to be a heel manager. I ended up doing it in a reasonably sensible order, bar one thing. I became a wrestler last, which means I limited my time to get to do that part. I went from journalist, to talent relations, to heel manager, to promoter, to wrestler. And now juggle all of those roles at once...I spent many years booking my shows, but I now share that role...my current booker is really, really good.
I just had some kind of urge to prove to myself, and a lot of doubters, I could get in there; on however basic a level. First show, I thought I was ready. And, my god, I really wasn't. At all. It didn't take long at all to feel comfortable though. And I've been professionally attempting to incite riots as a heel manager ever since, haha.

Ryan Smile:    I was always athletic and sporty as a child, I loved football and always played keeper for the school team. Inside however I spent a lot of time studying performing arts, and dance. When I was first introduced to wrestling I realised this was a great combination of sports, athleticism and performance, and was sucked in. I sourced a training school online which was actually across the road from my school.

Depression is an illness which can start at any time during a person's life, sometimes as a result of a severe stressor, but sometimes can lay dormant and unexpectedly manifest itself, seemingly without a clear cause. It is generally believed that biological, psychological, and social factors can all play a role in causing Depression. Biologically, it is said to be a lack of the monoamine chemicals (serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine), which are naturally present in a healthy brain, but show significantly reduced production in the brain of a Depressed person.
In professional wrestling, there have been many sufferers of Depression who have demonstrated the vast array of devastating effects that can manifest in all areas of a person's life. Failed marriages, suicides, professional and recreational failures and self-destructions, and addictions have all played their parts. Some have failed either to seek or to receive the help or treatment they needed to be able to conquer their fight with Depression, but there are those who can serve as a more positive example as well.

How long have you suffered from Depression, and how long did you struggle before seeking help?
Ryan Smile:    I've suffered with Depression since the age of 15, and 10 years later I'm still a sufferer of Depression. Sometimes it's worse than others, but my childhood has played a major part on why I'm still not completely over the illness. I sought help many times, took me till I was 19 to realise I was severely Depressed and I did seek help. However I am completely straight edge and that includes prescription drugs (if I’m hospitalized and have to take something, I will, granted) so I have to find other mediums to control my anxiety and Depression, and I have some techniques I employ for that.
PT Player:    I was diagnosed clinically Depressed in February 2010. I went for years without seeking proper help. I've always been blessed with good friends, and also higher profile friends. I thank a former Luton Town FC player, every time I speak of this, for his friendship at that time in my life; and that would be a striker called Tom Craddock. Like a lot of the lads in professional football, he's a WWE fan, and we always got on very well. When you have an ex Premiership player's attention, as a friend, and he's supporting you; it can be very inspirational. Tom used to celebrate goals with me on some occasions when he'd score, at home games at Luton, and it would be something to look forward to, and a lot of fun.

A 2008 survey conducted on behalf of the Canadian Medical Association showed that a staggering 46% of those polled believed that mental illness "isn't always 'real', but rather an excuse for poor behaviour and personal failings." This attitude, if anything, seems to be more typically taken towards men who suffer from Depression, as it is diametrically opposed to the general stereotypes of the gender. Unfortunately, professional wrestling is not generally considered to be a progressive business when it comes to stereotypes and social expectations, and there is a famous saying which crops up on any wrestling related reality shows and their ilk; 'There's no crying in wrestling'. The whole concept of portraying a tough guy certainly extends beyond the ring, back beyond the curtain and even beyond the arena to their personal lives. Anyone who complains about injuries, or displays any example of vulnerability is chastised and warned against this in any documentaries or aforementioned reality shows. It may sound like an outdated practice for a business which is an openly entertainment product, but those in the business are the victims of a different kind of stigma, which prevents the general public, media outlets and sports reporters etc. from respecting their legitimately athletic and punishing accomplishments, dismissing the product, often sight unseen, as simply 'fake'. This kind of attitude towards the performers seems, understandably, to be the main catalyst for their undying commitment to maintaining an overinflated sense of machismo and an alpha-male mentality, which has existed in the industry since the days of kayfabe.

Do you feel that as a male, and especially being in the wrestling business, made it harder to accept or talk about Depression openly?
PT Player:    Yes and no. I thank god that this has become a more acceptable subject to talk about openly. It's just a shame it's taken some tragic incidents and situations for it to become so. Most people in professional wrestling are screwed up, or have issues, or demons. It's whether they choose to admit it. OCD, ADHD, drug habits, Depression, self-harming, and more. I pray that everyone opens up more, and helps each other in the ways that they can. Never stop checking in on how your friends are.....I know myself, you never know when it's the last time you'll be able to.
Ryan Smile:    I was never open about Depression until maybe 3 years ago when I was 22. I realised after I attempted to take my own life, that I was low, I cried daily, I struggled to eat, lost weight, I was in a bad place, and I've never called out for help, no matter how weak, but whenever I saw someone debating the illness of Depression, It gave me an unbelievable strength, and I would always fight the naysayers and skeptics, who clearly haven't come across hard enough time to understand, and I hope they don't. I'd never wish half of my life on my worst enemy. I've suffered a lot.

Many people who find themselves on the outside of the business, either being fired from one of the major wrestling companies, or through injury etc., are often bitter towards the business itself. They suggest that the business is innately harmful to its workers, through the isolation of the travelling schedule, the public scrutiny, the natural aches and pains from performing, the stress of maintaining & improving their spots and the general politics backstage. Bret Hart said in a 2008 interview;
"They create these stars and then they just cut them adrift whenever they don’t need them. Then they just kind of float out there with nowhere to go and they get discouraged and depressed. I’ve seen so many of them that have died, [and] really it is from depression and having the life of a wrestler. You used to be a star and now you’re working at a Denny’s or something."
Injuries are also common and this can itself lead to addictions or other problems associated with minimising time spent off work. It seems in many ways to be a contradictory business, which would, in several ways, create further problems for anyone already suffering from Depression.

Are there ways that the business is hurtful to people with Depression, or causes situations which can serve as triggers?
PT Player:    It's a very bitchy, childish, back stabbing business, full of liars; full of people who scream the word 'professionalism' at you, but their idea of professionalism is to shake your hand, smile to your face, and instantly (either verbally or otherwise) stab you in the back, the moment your back is turned. I can't do that, at all, ever; and it's got me a lot of issues over the years. To those people, I apologise for having the cheek to be open and honest.
Ryan Smile:    There's a very dark room at the back of the spectacle that is Professional Wrestling, and sometimes you end up in there, and it isn't great. I nearly died from Septicemia when I was 20, which I actually caught when I accidentally cut my finger putting a ring up. It got infected and I was hospitalized, so in that case that was NOT a helping hand at all haha (I can laugh about it now, as I am completely over that).
PT Player:    The backstabbing nature of the business makes it very hard to cope. Unless you're a complete scumbag, and I'm really tempted to throw another wrestler's name or two out there, but won't; then you'll always find this business hard to cope with in those respects, let alone if you have issues such as we're talking about here. It can make you insecure, the constant competitive dog eat dog nature.

Regardless of these negatives, people find the wrestling business an impossible thing to leave behind them. I thought that there must be at least one thing that the business could offer which would be a saving grace for anyone who suffered from Depression.

In what ways has being in the wrestling business helped you to combat Depression?
Ryan Smile:    Being in wrestling in my honest and frank opinion hasn't helped with my Depression at all, I guess having a few colleagues who have sent me great words of encouragement could go down as help, right? But wrestling in general actually sometimes has made it worse.
PT Player:    Performing is a rush that helps us all. We struggle before, we fall down after, but when the music hits to go out there, when the lights are on bright, we're alive. Knowing you've got that moment to live for, can help you get through the lowest moments.
Ryan Smile:    That feeling when your music hits (and all of a sudden you feel like you need to piss haha) is quite incomparable to anything else, for me anyway. I love the buzz of a crowd...

Some people can identify potential triggers for their more severe bouts of Depression even before the illness can properly take hold, and either prevent the onset or curtail its effects by using stress relieving techniques, psychological exercises, or even increasing their medication (if a Doctor should advise this is necessary). For others, they may not realise that a severe bout is upon them until it is too late, but even then there are always places to turn, such as Doctors, Counsellors, family members, friends, or any of the tireless charities such as The Samaritans, who work to provide support to anyone who may be struggling.

What steps do you take when you experience the triggers of your Depression to ensure it doesn't get out of hand?
PT Player:    I sleep. Sleep is a safe place. Like many, I play Xbox. Music, music is probably everyone's way out, I write and play guitar too. In an ideal world, I'd choose to walk down the beach at night. And if I can handle it, I take time with my children. I have two absolutely amazing, incredibly bright, good looking, gifted, and big hearted children; Andrew and Victoria, who will go on to do anything that they want to in this life. They'll outshine anything I ever did. And I'll be the proudest Daddy in the world, no matter what age they are.
Ryan Smile:    Unfortunately I'm never really aware that I'm having a downer, until it blocks my hip toss and clotheslines me haha. My clouds creep up on my pretty quickly, and some morning I just wake up not feeling as great as I did when I went to sleep. It may graduate and get worse, or die out, depends.
It is crucially important for people who have suffered from Depression, especially those who are currently winning their fight, to share their experiences, offer advice and help wherever they can for the benefit of those who are at their lowest point. Hearing the success stories and constructive advice of people who have been there can really make a huge difference in the lives of sufferers, and when it is applied to an area of general interest it will also help to raise awareness for those who have never experienced Depression in themselves or their loved ones.

What advice would you give to people, both in and outside the business who are struggling with Depression?
Ryan Smile:    I feel like a hypocrite writing this as, as I do write it, my eyes are sore and puffy as I woke up in tears this morning and I am currently having a bad turn, however it goes to show that sometimes talking about your experience can help.
PT Player:    Reach out. For your sake, and for your friends and family's sake, reach out. People do care. They do understand. Even if you think they don't, or won't, you'll find someone that does. I would openly say anyone reading this interview is free to contact you, Nathan, and be given my email address. If I can help anyone who's read this, I would consider it an honour.
Ryan Smile:    Don't fear the dark, because there's always a light........somewhere. You just got to find the switch.

By sharing my story originally, I hoped that I would be able to reach at least one person who may have been struggling with Depression, and give the little advice that I can give and the sliver of hope that I am able to share. I would have been happy just to know that one person was helped by it, but now, with the help and openness of people within the industry, hopefully it can raise some awareness about Depression, and not only educate people about its existence and effects, but also encourage those who are suffering in any way and show them that they are not alone. You can read my original blog entry on how I used my interest in professional wrestling and writing to help me in my ongoing fight against Depression here:



You can read the full interviews with both participants by clicking on their names below:


To keep up to date with details of other interviews, reviews & articles from Eye On Wrestling, as well as news and trivia, please follow on Twitter and like the Facebook page.


(This article was originally posted on the 'GetRealWrestling' website in September 2014, but was moved here after that site closed.)