David Finlay Jr Interview (July 2015)

By Nathan Hunt

This interview was conducted in July 2015 and originally featured in the August issue of Total Wrestling Magazine. You can check out the magazine's other great content and subscribe here.




What are your earliest memories of being a fan of pro wrestling, and what made you want to be part of the business?
My earliest memories weren't necessarily from the perspective of a fan. I've been immersed in this business since I was 6 weeks old. The only person I could really say inspired me to be a wrestler was my dad. He's my hero. What really drew me was actually the crowd. I always loved seeing how a crowd reacts to things, and I think at an early age the crowd is what drew me in and made me want to do this. I spent most of my childhood day dreaming about how my entrance would be, crowds cheering for me, and all that fun stuff.  

Your dad is one of the most critically acclaimed wrestlers, trainers and personalities in the wrestling world. How did it affect you growing up with a famous father? How often did you see him and did you ever get to travel with him when he was on tour? 
I never looked at my dad as "famous". He was just my dad. I grew up with people knowing who my dad was so for me it was normal. I don't think I really ever told my friends either, they'd just figure it out when he'd come to school to eat lunch with me or they'd come over to play. I don't think I really grasped the concept to be completely honest. I knew my dad had a different job than most people because most of my friends would always talk about their parents coming home from work on a daily basis where as I'd see my dad maybe two days and then he'd be gone for five. I really enjoyed my summer vacation from school because that meant dad would take me to work with him. That was always the highlight of my summer because it was usually just me and him, it was good bonding time.  

Was there pressure from your family either to get into the business, or to avoid the business? Was it expected that you would want to follow in the family tradition?
I can honestly say there was never pressure on anything. My parents always said that whatever I wanted to be, they'd support me. But I know I've wanted to wrestle since I was two years old. When I was eleven I told my mom I'm not doing college or university, I'm only going to wrestle. That remains true to this day.  

What are your memories of training to become a wrestler and was it made tougher because of the expectations of you? How valuable was it to have such a wealth of experience being imparted from your dad and grandfather? 
My dad would teach me here and there when I was growing up, so I learned things piece by piece over time. I did amateur wrestling in high school and that was my life. I did it year round, I wanted a state championship. Instead of hanging out with friends I'd be training or at tournaments. I think that's one of the main reasons I got into the business as late as I did. I think the first time I was like seriously taught more than one or two things was when I found out I was going to have my first match. I was nineteen years old, almost twenty, my dad told me he was retiring and asked me if I wanted to tag with him. I said yes but I never thought it was actually going to happen. About a week later he says to me that we're going to Germany in two weeks and we need to find gear and start training. Having my dad as my only trainer is awesome, but also quite special to me. He literally knows everything you could possibly know, and then probably some more. But that traces back to my grandfather who is also the only person who ever trained my dad. It's a very protected line of wrestlers I'd say. 

Would you say that your training came naturally to you in any ways? Do you have an advantage in certain ways because of gowing up with such a rich lineage in the business? 
Some people may find it a tad arrogant me saying this, but wrestling does come very naturally to me. I pick things up quite quickly, I've only been wrestling two and a half years and I'm way ahead of where most people are in this time frame. I definitely think I have a big advantage. My dad has so many connections and so many people respect him so they always give me the time of day if I'm trying to get some advice or help on something.  

In what ways is being the first fourth generation wrestler a blessing and a curse? I imagine that it has both advantages and drawbacks?
Being the first is the blessing but it's also the curse. I'm the first so I get to set the bar, but that also means I have to top the third generation guys. In my eyes, guys like The Rock and Randy Orton are some of the biggest stars this business has ever seen. Each has his own list of accomplishments that is longer that most people's. That's my target, I need to top what they've done in wrestling, and go beyond. I take pride in being who I am and what I am. I know it's a lot of pressure and big boots to fill but that's all I've ever known and I love the challenge.  

What is the hardest part about training to become a professional wrestler and what was the best peice of advice that you have been given so far? 
I think it's mentally very difficult. It's not the most pleasant thing to train for. As I've progressed it doesn't get easier, the higher you get in this business the more is expected of you. The dojo makes you do a thousand squats a day minimum. We do a full work out and then wrestle, but that's the number for squats alone. It takes a person who wants this bad enough and loves this more than anything to go through that.  

How did it feel to walk out in front of a crowd for the first time, and how long before your confidence grew to a point of feeling comfortable in front of an audience?
I loved it. I felt like I finally was doing what I've dreamed about for so long. It was a tiny crowd in Hannover, Germany, but it was seemed so big to me. I can honestly say I've never been nervous about crowds or about wrestling. It's my comfort zone.  

Do you prefer working as a heel or babyface?
Being a heel comes more natural to me. I feel I have better matches because I'm more comfortable in what I'm doing.  

How hard was it to start building a name for yourself and get bookings early on?
It was hard! Before I got to Japan I had wrestled in eight other countries, yet I feel nobody knew who I really was. I spent most of my pre-Japan career in the UK, but I live in the states. There really wasn't much of a demand for me there, and I had just started making a little bit of noise on the Indy scene in the states and then I just disappeared for like 3 months because I decided to go back to my home and train with my dad. I knew I was going to be doing the super juniors so I used that time to reinvent myself, and then 6 weeks before the tournament I was put in the dojo. The last time I had a match outside of Japan was in February this year (2015)

What are your favourite places to work (locations or promotions) and who have been some of your favourite opponents thus far?
I love wrestling anywhere. England was fun, Germany will always be special, and the north east part of the states is just a blast to work in. Working guys like Nathan Cruz, JT Dunn, David Starr, and countless others were just so enjoyable for me. They're guys that I would consider to be a level above the average talent pool. Professionals inside and outside the ring, with massive amounts of talent.  

Have you ever wrestled in any strange or unusual venues?
Plenty. I'd have to say the strangest was a roadside show at a four way stop in South Africa. There were maybe fifty people standing around the ring and traffic would occasionally stop and just stare for a bit. I remember it was cold and windy too.

What is your favourite style of matches to work?
Matches I haven't done before. I like to challenge my skill and creativity, I believe that's the only way to get better. 

What is your travelling and performing schedule like? What were the main highlights and downsides of being on the road?
It's busy. I stay in Japan most of the time but I have a tour every week or two. The highlights are I get to be with all the boys and I get to travel, the downside is it can be very draining and exhausting. 

You have worked for promotions throughout the world. What are the main differences between audiences in different countries (in terms of attitudes, respect, volume and reactions etc) or are all audiences becoming more similar throughout the world?
The audiences differ from country to country. America and the UK love to chant and to interact. Japan likes to sit back and observe. It's a quieter crowd and react for different things than people would in the other parts of the world.

How did it feel when you learned that you would become a full time member of the New Japan Pro Wrestling roster? What does this mean to you personally and how important is this for your career? Has it been a major culture shock to be based in Japan full-time?
It was nice to know they liked me and wanted to keep me. I've seen some people say I've gotten into New Japan because of my fathers name, which is partially true, but what I can do is what's keeping me here. I was given an opportunity and I ran with it, and now they're keeping me. It's a big step, a look people would live to be in my position but there's only two other foreigners besides myself in the dojo...so it's a very big deal and very hard to get in. I actually enjoy Japan, I'm used to being around different cultures so I adapt fast.  

Which British wrestlers do you feel have made the biggest impact on the sport worldwide?
There's been so many wrestlers that have made an impact globally that I couldn't really narrow it down. I'd say the old British style has influenced so many wrestlers and even today's wrestling.

Who are some of the most outrageous characters (inside or outside the ring) that you have met in the business? Who are your favourite people on a personal level in the business and are there any people who have surprised you in terms of their personality?
Hands down, the most outrageous person I've ever met is Tony Spitfire. He used to be Brian Dixons right hand man, but now he's busy running First Class Wrestling (check them out - https://www.facebook.com/FirstClassWrestling?fref=ts). Spitty is just fearless and always a joy to be around, I have many crazy stories that I can share, but besides all the shenanigans, he taught me so much and he's the most selfless man I've ever seen when it comes to this business. His mind set is always "for the good of the show" and I look up to him in that aspect because i feel that's an important mindset to have.  

What has British wrestling as a whole contributed to the wider wrestling world?
Some of the greatest matches and wrestlers you could ever hope to see.  

Do you think that British wrestling could ever be a strong territory in it’s own right again (like how Japan and Mexico operate), and maybe even get back to the level of popularity that it had in the World Of Sport era?
I would love to see that but I think there would have to be some sort of outside help for that to happen. Too many promoters within the UK care about their promotion more than they do the actual business. It would take a lot of team work from everyone's part in order for that to happen. That being said, I think the UK wrestling scene has been making quite a bit of buzz as of late. 

Which current British workers do you feel have potential to become big stars in the business?
Nathan Cruz. Outside of being one of my closer friends, he's an amazing talent, great wrestler, and has the makings of a star. He's got so much passion and drive and love for this business, and he should go far.   

What are your aims for your career, both short and long term? What are the main goals you want to achieve?
Short term, I'd like to be in the G-1 climax within the next two years. Long term, I want to win the IWGP heavyweight championship while I'm with New Japan. I've always set my goals to be the best, and I think that's the best way to prove it.  

How do you balance work, training and home life?
I suppose I don't balance it really. I work and I train almost daily, and I get two weeks at home every three months or so. It's tough but my family couldn't be more supportive. 

What advice would you give to anyone who wants to break into the wrestling business?
This isn't for everyone. If you're going to do this, take it seriously. Keep your eyes and ears open and keep your mouth closed. It's the best advice I was ever given. You should also follow me on Twitter @THEdavidfinlay






To keep up to date with details of other interviews, reviews & articles from Eye On Wrestling, as well as news and trivia, please follow on Twitter and like the Facebook page.